Tuesday, March 20, 2007

What we’re going to do right here is go back

One of the wonderful things about the internet is the randomness of it all, you start at one point and never know where you will end up.

The other day whilst engaging in talk on DJ History about This Mortal Coil I followed a link to a old rave track that had sampled Song To The Siren and discovered a wonderful site.

Well wonderful if you liked or lived through the rave era.

My first real introduction to club culture outside of New Zealand was at the tail end of rave, breakbeat culture was morphing into jungle and the big outdoor parties that circled London were drawing to a close, ecstasy was twenty five quid a pop.

It was a exciting time and I was fortunate for it to cross my path whilst doing my OE (Overseas experience).

Anyways, I found this site and spent a highly enjoyable hour there on Friday afternoon listening to many of the tracks I remember with fondness from days gone by. Please note many of the tracks are no longer there to play, which is a bummer but there are still plenty to make one smile or if not familiar with the music of the time perhaps scratch ones head thinking WTF.

Simpler times they were, possibly a lot more fun too.

I'd love to be able to take some of my friends to a good old fashioned English rave, they'd love it and possibly go a little bonkers.

Raving...we're raving




















Song To the Siren:

On the floating, shapeless oceans
I did all my best to smile
til your singing eyes and fingers
drew me loving into your eyes.

And you sang "Sail to me, sail to me;
Let me enfold you."

Here I am, here I am waiting to hold you.
Did I dream you dreamed about me?
Were you here when I was full sail?

Now my foolish boat is leaning, broken love lost on your rocks.
For you sang, "Touch me not, touch me not, come back tomorrow."
Oh my heart, oh my heart shies from the sorrow.
I'm as puzzled as a newborn child.
I'm as riddled as the tide.
Should I stand amid the breakers?
Or shall I lie with death my bride?

Hear me sing: "Swim to me, swim to me, let me enfold you."
"Here I am. Here I am, waiting to hold you

No comments: