Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Drinking Age and Bob's continuing frustration

Well I'm bloody glad to see the stupid notion of putting the drinking age back up to 20 didn't get passed by our parliament.

I do beleive the fear of the younger voters worked - well done the youngins and their lobbying, I say.

This doesn't side step the issue that our government, our health services and most importantly of all, ourselves have to face. We have a shocking attitude to booze.

It might change, given a lot of time, perhaps with a sustained and concerted effort in 25-40 years New Zealanders will not be the immature "get it down ya" drinkers we are currently.

I know this younger generation generally is better than mine, in regards to drinking. Especially in areas like drink driving. Not all of them of course but enough for a old lush like me to notice.

We have to empower the youth, give them the control that they both deserve and desire for their future and thus our countries.

Reactionary decision making by old farts in parilament will not a better country make, we cannot condition the public and change social norms via legislation, thats not the path to take - a simple means to address a problem perhaps but not one that will work in any manner other than punish those who are responsible law abiding citizens.

On another note, I feel it is time I stopped watching the TV news... not because it is too depressing or not very informative but I can simply no longer cope with the open ended questions used to entice one to watch....

TV3 you lured me into your reports by making them better than TV1s now each and every bloody night you do my bloody head in with your inane marketing attempts and pathetic use of events to make the news into some sort of quiz show or something.

You are the weakest link and I can stand it no more.

Enough already

would you like to know more.... its not fucking starship troopers you muppets

we are not sheep

/rant

oh and goodbye Mr Rumsfeld, you horrific piece of work

[edit]

just been reading the The Opinionated Diner and read a comment about the irony of the date

No comments: