Monday, October 16, 2006

When is enough, enough?

I spend too much time reading about the state of the world, too much time watching various current affairs and news programmes and too much time thinking and wondering waht it all means.

I spend too much time thinking about my opinions, second guessing the motives of the news sources I turst and don't trust.

Perhaps I have too much time....

I got up this morning to find a ucky rainy day, not my preferred way to start the week, in fact it was almost enough to make me want to crawl back into bed... but alas one must get up.

I've mentioned it before and may as well again, I am a creature of habit, always changing and mutating but habits or routines are the backbone fo my world, thus its get up, coffee, cigarettes and a flick through my daily news and opinion sources on the web, on with breakfast TV (all the news one needs on our screens minus the pretense at being earnest) and the daily attempt to put off getting up (showering and dressing) for as long as possible.

I don't read too much in the moring I find the artilces that intersest me, take a mental note and leave them for the evening, when I;ll have time to dig and saviour the contents rather than flick through them and run.

Alongside my news sites, I do a daily (sometimes two or three times) trawl through music sites, music forums and a select numbr of blogs - its funny, I always thought blogs were the domain of idiots and losers - until I started my own... oh self interest is such a wonderful way to obscure ones thoughts and rationale.

I had jsut decided not to read the latest opinion post on the Lancet report on the estimated number of deaths in Iraq, too much morbid reading is not good for the soul, plus I'm a tad grumpy so figured best not mess with my metal state more than needed. Thus I fell back on blogs to start me way into the day this morning.

So I ventured off to the Opinionated Diner (OD), hoping he'd been active, on the off chance he'd been writing aout music, for we share similar tastes and on other matters similar opinions.

This morning I was confronted with a piece that will have me thinking a great deal, Anti Americanism - I like OD I have had to defend my opinions on this particular state and its actions, for those that don't agree with my opinions are often quick to label me as Anti American, something I don't consider myself to be - even if my views on that countries actions are crticial this doesn't mean I do like like all that is American or the people of the USA.

I'm not going to comment on what OD has written, well not yet. Its sometimes too easy to simply agree or not with opinion, this is something to ponder and scratch ones head about. I agree with his comments 100%, yet am still loathe to consider myself as anything but someone who dislikes the regime in power in the US, with extreme prejudice I must add.

Interesting to note that the report on the Iraqi death rate that Bush refutes came from the same place that estimated the Darfor deaths and was the foundations of the International Communities desire to put peace keepers ont he ground there - yep double standards, or as Chomsky says one single standard.

Is it time to shift my opinion

I hope not, for to do one runs the real risk of becoming as delusional as those in the white house...

...but one must ask the question - when is enough, enough?

Time to get up, time to ponder this question.... I am lucky - I have this luxury



Now I'm running late and got a busy day ahead, so best sign off

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,
I guess in my clumsy way I was trying to say that the USA bears some collective responsibility for this fucking mess. And a collective responsibility to fix it.
That doesn't mean I hold every American individually responsible, far from it. But somewhere, sometime, they, as a nation have to be held liable for Bush, and all this blood of the past forty years.

Simon

Bob Daktari said...

Oh I agree with you, I wouldn't give most other nations the same benefit of the doubt.

Its not the peoples fault that they have so little say, nor that their system provides no real choice, nor oppositioin and that the US seems to be controlled by power elites not the people

As I say when is enough, enough. When do we non Americans who have been very critical of that nations actions simply give up and as you suggest simply become "anti American" as our detractors like to paint us.

The USA has the power to do greatest good for our collective species yet it continues to do the opposite so a select few can be richer - thats not right

we probably think too much :)