Sunday, December 03, 2006

In which Bob learns the lesson of war




What better way to celebrate a friends birthday than indulging in a mock war?
Today I survived paintball, here. It was quite a education, in pain and the things we do for fun.

Those that know me won't be totally surprised to know I was a crap soldier, I 'died' the most in our team, 11 times - unlike the real world of warcraft I got a prize for my lack of skill, I certainly think that is better than a body bag.

I have a golfball growing out of my neck, where one of the many shots I took landed, its quite sore and resembles a hicky - as if I'd had an afternoon of vacum cleaner loving.
I have similar welts on my back, my thighs and my ankle. All turning into rather colourful bruises.

Why anyone would do this sort of activity for fun I have no idea.

Yet for all the pain it was quite a lot of fun, even for a first timer and a crap one at that.

We must have looked quite a site with our visors and distinct lack of camo gear, a bunch of townies in the forest fighting for victory when most of us could only dream of the post battle beer and BBQ.

The map here is the course in which we fought.

I now have a profound new respect for those in the military, its damn hard work running, shooting and hiding (cowering in terror).

I'd happily say I'd be more than happy to repeat my experience, though preferably with less physical reminders.
War does make one thirsty and I drank a lot of beer to dull my pain...... :)




No comments: