Thursday, October 06, 2005

Phew

Big ups to TV3 news for not mentioning Judy Bailey's rather dubious title of Mother of the Nation title. I liked the different takes by the two broadcasters - TVNZ "she's stepped down", TV3 "Judy Dumped". Gotta love the vested interests taking care of business.

A congratulations to Fat Freddy's Drop on their winning of four Tuis at the annual backslap that is the New Zealand Music Awards. Congratulations to all the others too, but Fat Freddy's deserve extra attention, cause they are so bloody good. I must admit I really hate music awards, for many reasons the primary one being that they rarely reward talent and innovation, more often than not its all about status quo and the more generic stylings of the artists found under the wings of the major labels. Not always however, for in Fat Freddy's we have a act who are fiercely independent and one who not only deserve the accolades they are getting globally but are getting them now not after the fact. If you ain't heard of them, do ya ears a favour and check em out - perfect blissful downbeat stylings for summer evenings and a wonderful hodge podge of styles that speak so much for the diverse influences one is subjected to down here. Damn they are going on to bigger and better things I expect and rightly so.

I didn't attend the awards - must admit I really hate these sorts of nights, not to mention the fact its really expensive to attend. I could have a real rant here but to be honest I can't be bothered, lets just say these things tend to be more about the sponsor than anything else, a sad reflection I feel on well the world I guess. I didn't miss anything (except a hangover) that I can't imagine, instead I was playing round with a bunch of old dub records, which was good fun.

I see New Orleans city has laid off over 3000 staffers due to lack of funds, hows that for a kick in the nuts. Suffer throught he devastating hurricane only to then get a second bash of lossing your source of income.... I imagine many more stories of this sort are still to come, wonder who will get the lions share of the 60 billion aid package.... I doubt it will be those who have lost everything, but hey I am a cynic. On a bright note for that city, the death toll is quite a bit lower than the predicted 10,000, yet to reach the 1000 mark - was all that talk of looting and gun fights, bodies floating everywhere perhaps a little inaccurate one wonders? Too early to say maybe and when one does know it won't be news. Meanwhile over 60 people have died in Mexico due to hurricane Stan, virtually no news of that puppy down here, I wonder why?

I could ramble on a bit but bugger that, time for a shower, the day awaits and I've a CD of new Soultrust tunes and a Paul Woolford Essential mix currently downloading to check out, me a big fan of his Jackford Files boots and a lot of his other productions, so this should be a good day for me ears, may even drag out the Fat Freddy's 12"s I've got if the sun does what is expected of it today.

Rock on :)

No comments: