Thursday, October 20, 2005

I could really do with a sausage now

So about a month after we went to the polls a government is formed, yippee, we all cry. Or do we? Is this the sort of government one would want for New Zealand? It’s a historic moment for our Nation; we have our first Labour lead Government that has retained power for three terms - maybe for now that should read won three elections in a row. Lets hope this is becomes a positive entry into our history books.

I know personally I’m not overly surprised by the make up of what is now our new Govt, a tad disappointed but not surprised. My primary source of disappointment is the way our Labour lead government has succumbed to the power brokers, NZ First and United Future – the parties who basically would support anyone as long as it gave them more power than they warrant. I guess this is one of the positives presented in a negative fashion (for me) of our MMP system. Great that the minority parties have a say in the running of our country but how much of a say should they have?

I am a little disappointed at the way the Greens, who have been so supportive of Labour have all but been left out in the cold. I’m sure there’s more to this and somehow I feel this is where the Greens want to be, considering the Govt’s other bedfellows. I’m no greenie, yet I feel of all the smaller parties they have the most to offer us in govt, mainly because they actually have strong policies of their own and have a good track record of saying and pushing for the right things, especially when it comes to our environment. Which I fear is more important with each passing day than ever before.

I’m not upset the Maori party has no power and if anything the election has shown them to be the useless mob I do believe they are. They were set up as a reaction against Labour and the Seabed and Foreshore bill and I can’t help thinking much of their motivation is personal not Maori focused. The fact they allowed National to court them so, says it all. I can’t imagine how they could even entertain coalition talks with a party that had so many policies that were the complete opposite of what the Maori Party should have been gunning for. Maori deserve better, actually we all do. Lift ya game or disappear please.

Should I be surprised at the outcome and the terms dictated by United Future and NZ First, well I’d like to be. However in a world where job security is all but a myth and politicians’ lot is more likely to be a short stint in public office. Which is of course a position that is quite well paid, very well by most people’s standards but not so well compared to those power brokers in the business world. Having said that, most of our politicians’ aren’t the sorts who would have climbed to the heady well paid peaks of the commercial world, thus it’s a good gig and one can expect them to make the most of it whilst they can and the longer they feed from the public trough the more perks both short and long term than can command and expect. The more power they hold, the more perks and potential longer time they will hold public office etc etc etc.

If clever the politican will also find their post politics niche and thus future earner. I’d like to think this isn’t a motivation for our politicians’, but to think they don’t consider such things would be innately naïve. Politics is a profession, one like so many others in our small land, one that doesn’t have the same timelines nor opportunities as one would expect and find in a nation much larger than ours. So they make hay whilst the sun shines.

One things for sure the next three years will certainly be an interesting one in the political arena, whether it will be a beneficial one for the nation only time will tell, I have a feeling the country won’t go backwards, nor however can I say with any assurance that it will continue the forward progress we’ve experienced over the past two terms under Labour. We have a government that shows some of the inherent flaws of our MMP system, yet its also a government with more experience than any on how to perform as a coalition, which in itself is a good thing.

One thing I feel is assured, next election there will be more sausage sizzles at the polling booths. At the very least that is my desire. I hope that thats in three years, only time now will tell.

On the update front, I have finally tracked down the irritating source of noise in the music mixes I am trying to create on me puter – the AC power chord isn’t grounded, thus there is a constant hum. Bloody stupid, bloody technology. Do I look like a bloody electrician? Do I look like the sort of guy who would have kn own this? Is it simple or easy to find out this fact – no it wasn’t, I should say it wasn’t too hard, but then I do feel I am very good at finding things on the internetweb. Should it be – I think so. Do I have to buy a new cord, yes I do. Bitter, damn right!

I wonder if Helen feels the same frustration at the situation she found her party in?

No comments: