Thursday, June 21, 2007

This Mortal Coil - Song To the Siren

Spent a lot of time last night in the world of youtube, TV cannot compete with being able to call up that which interests you then and there.

Now all Bob wants is better quality video and sound and decent internet speeds to capture that which I wanna view in our odd little technological backwater.

By god I love this song, a love affair that started in, I reckon, 1984. As the single I have this on 16 Days was released in 83, thus it would have taken some months before it hit New Zealand shelves, so we'll say '84.

I used to play this a lot, back in my early student radio days and more lately on my George FM show, which I must have left about a year ago now - I dug playing this on George, of which i guess I did so maybe 3 times, it was a sure bet to get loads of texts from people blown away by well just how fucking beautiful this song is.

Liz Fraser in top form with a voice to die for.

This Mortal Coil - Song To the Siren (1983)




If memory serves I got the single cause I was a big Modern English fan, whom wrote 16 Days Gathering Dust, I quite liked the Cocteau Twins but it wasn't til Song To the Siren that I really started to explore their world.




















This was back in the days when I would collect most releases on a record label, it simply made sense and 4AD was a wonderful label, to put it mildly.

I don't know what it is with me, I have been spending a bit of time of late on youtube and each visit I find myself looking for and watching music clips from mainly the 80's - is this some sort of mid life crisis I wonder? A vein attempt to reach back to my younger more formulative days... perhaps so and why the hell not, I had hair on my head and drunk jugs of beer...

Or perhaps its a reflection on the lack of videos for most of the electronic/dance related acts that have dominated my attention since the early 90's. Must do a night looking for old rave, techno and jungle clips - of which I am sure there is bugger all.

Last night I was basking, once again, in the old punk days and had intended to have angry type post about all the bands I followed from that particular genre. Punk was the formulative musical experience for me, it connected not just with my ears, punk helped shape my sense of self, the political elements and philosophy embodied by so many of the punk bands still resonate within me. I am a punk... not some stereotypical mohawked thug, no I'm a silly old man who wears shorts... but my heart, my soul, my me is and will always be concerned most with being true to myself (as much as I can be) and being simply me - an individual if you will, and that is the core of what being a punk is.

Aw jeeze here I am blabbering on like some stupid old fool... here's the Cocteau Twins, I need a coffee.

Cocteau Twins - Pearly Dew Drops Drops (1984)



Cocteau Twins - Lorelei (1985)



I think this is a video made by a fan.

And with that I do belive its time to start my day.

Good Morning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You & me to but. Managed to pick up a modern english single. Drowning man on Limp. Came out in 1979. Got to love the old sounds & I got you to blame for that.