Sunday, June 17, 2007

Cabaret Voltaire

Oh yeah baby, a weekend of it....

Four more clips from this very important band for me and well a hell of a lot of loons around the globe.

Cabaret Voltaire - Sluggin' For Jesus 1981

Simply godlike, you can imagine the influence this sort of track had on the early techno producers of the time.





Cabaret Voltaire - Yashar 1982

A track I still pull out a lot, it makes me smile...

It's one I played heaps when the whole electro clash thang was kicking off here and also a time I was booked to push play on record players in clubs, not often but often enough for me. A awesome track and like most of Cabaret Voltaires music years ahead of its time...





Cabaret Voltaire - Sensoria 1984

Sensoria from their second album for Virgin (Microphonies) is one of the great 12"s of all time IMHO, one I used to start almost all my radio shows with, in 85.

I'd get to the station at 3pm on a Friday, the station started broadcasting at 3, cue Sensoria up and run off to another building, turn the transmitter on (a huge ex army transmitter that well it was fucking huge, would have taken a truck to move it) and run back and push play on this track. I then had 8 minutes to catch my breath and cue another record - the station was 100% vinyl.

They were fun and simple times. I'd do a three hour show. Dash back to the halls of residence, where I lived in my first year, scoff back some food (bad fish n chips on a Friday) and dash to the pub. To drink like a loon, talk music with me mates and probably yell a lot... if lucky there would be bands to take in and the gang members whom ruled the pub would leave us alone.





Cabaret Voltaire - I Want You 1985

The 12" of this and other Cabaret Voltaire tracks of this ear were more often than not a mashup of at least two of their tracks, the 12"s were long (for the time, usually 9+ minutes, which seemed an eternity then) and the 12" for I Want You is simply a little mad.




For more Cab's clips do a youtube search, there's a few more there. Tis so cool to see these, for I haven't had the pleasure, for some of the clips posted, before.

Cabaret Voltaire Discography

No comments: