Monday, January 21, 2008

the Big Day Out 08

So here we are Bob's tenth or eleventh BDO (I can't remember how many I've been to... not a good reflection on what little mind I have left)... and so how was it?

The day started out fine, a slap up cafe breakfast with lashings of coffee to set Bob up for the day ahead - Bob needs his strength as he knows its going to be a big day. The festival is all but sold out and the weather is going to be muggy as all hell... this suggests today is going to be more than simply wandering around enjoying the musical delights on offer.

We arrive at Mt Smart in the early afternoon, grab media passes and immortals lounges passes, queue for ages to get drinking area passes (bob likes a beer with the commoners, LOL).

Adjourn to the immortals lounge for a couple of cold ones and then its off to see Kool Keith. The Boiler Room is a big fuck off tent, built on decaying and broken concrete - simply stated it is a shithouse place. Kool Keith starts the set off in wonderful style Blue Flowers, a huge song back in its day (wot 12 or so years ago). I'm chuffed with this, taking it as a sign that his set is going to be off the hook. Alas soon enough things deteriorate to the inane "Hello New Zealand" calls and the corresponding sheeplike cries from the crowd (which is a decent size) most of whom have no idea I reckon who the hell they are seeing or who Kool Keith is, but a NZ call has gone up and hey thats where we are so one has to yell doesn't one? No, one doesn't. Soon enough we're treated to nearly 30 minutes of a medley of KK tracks... fuck this mumbles Bob I wanna hear a song in its entirity. Soon enough (about 30 litres of sweat, by god the tent sucks!) its over Havoc steps up to play some tunes - Bob flees.

Its at this point that the size of the crowd makes itself known - a twenty minute queue to get into the Lileypad, no thanks I just want to chillout and enjoy a beer, so back to the immortals lounge. Drink caht and catchup with those I seem to see once a year.

Check outside the window prior to departing to see Dizzy Rascal - the crowd trying to enter that damn tent again is simply huge, no ones getting anywhere fast, so I opt for another beer and hear the strains of Mr Billy Bragg waft tyhrough the window, yep sounds like he did in the eighties...

By 4ish the immortals lounge is filling up with industry wankers, hangers on adn the randoms this place attracts these days - time to bail and stay away.

Go for a wander and eventually its back into the tent for UNKLE with my brother whose a fan. I quite liked UNKLE's latest album as a non fan and to be blunt was expecting them live to be rubbish. Well bugger me if I wasn't wrong, so wrong on that count. Stunning live band set ensues. Suddenly things pick up and the excitment levels I didn't feel I would find on the day kick in.

Then its off to see a tiny bit of Battles before the lure of Arcade Fire drags me to the main stages. Arcade Fire were perfectly placed on the big stage and wow they were everything I had expected, stunning. Shame about the influx of the afterwork crowd whom all seemed to be entering the stadium area for Rage Against The Machine, looking asomewhat baffled by Arcade Fire, their constant pushing past me was a dampener on my mood.

A bit more wandering and not really getting anywhere and Bob and bro think fuck it hometime and off we go. Couldn't face the prospect of LCD Soundsystem in the tent... something I found out later wasn't bad and they were apparently off the hook - damn my eyes... but I also don't care. For its one thing to dig someones music and an altogether nother thing to see them live - sometimes live is one thousand times better but not often and very rarely at a budget festival (that is one we kiwis can afford).

Not the greatest day ever, but certainly a Big Day Out. I believe the scheduling of the day could have been better - acts can and perhaps should be scheduled to compliment each other (its not against the law to have hip hop act follow hip hop act), UNKLE should have IMO been post Aracde Fire and pre Bjork... you know build a groove, keep those whom certain acts will appeal to in the same area rather than force them to navigate the stadium area - which as always is a mission and not a fun nor pleasant one.

This years BDO was not my fave, it wasn't overly fun for me but there was just enough seen and overheard on the day for it not to be a washout. With a bit of work the festival could be so much more - such as booking more acts that are actually fresh... this year was a bit too retro in styles overall.

With the number of summer dance festivals on right now I wonder if they would appeal more to me... nah they have even worse booking policies... so once again Bob realises he isn't the target market (thank fuck yell all of NZ's promoters) but with a bit of effort he can still have some fun.

I'd give my BDO experience a 5/10. Which reflects I think this years lineup, solid but not super.

For more BDO reviews and views check Russell Brown's Public Address postions (link to your left) and the various links and discussion on PA System

I look forward to next years Big Day Out, for no matter what people like myself say and think its sure better than a day in the office or a poke in the eye with a blunt stick.

No comments: