Friday, September 21, 2007

Save the planet

Is it just me...

I don't quite understand how the govt's scheme of carbon credits and all this economic mumbo jumbo is meant to actually reduce our carbon emissions.

I can see the rationale behind the scheme - make it attractive to capitalists and therefore give economic incentives to key sectors to reduce emissions, but I don't see how this approach will actually do much of any good.

We've stuffed around for a decade whilst our emissions have increased - dramatically it seems, and now we are slowly implimenting a scheme that doesn't seem to address the issue so much as it seeks to pacify the detractors (major carbon emitters to BTW).

I don't profess to completely understand the scheme proposed that will become law next year as all the parties seem to be in favour of it. The doomsayers suggest this whole global warming and destruction of the environment is actually pretty serious.

Is it?

If one was to believe the articles propping up in the media everything is going to cost us the consumer more... and I can't help but wonder the motivation of these articles. So I pay approx $7 more a month in power in about 3 years time... fuck all to save the planet methinks... oh I am poor too, cool, the govt will subsidise that increase - sweet!

I dunno, I guess its a start and we do have to start somewhere. Getting business on board is obviously essential and all that. Yet I still can't help but think we're rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

Whats more important, the protection of our capitalist framework and extremely wasteful way of life or the protection of our species?

It'd be a non brainer to ants or sea monkeys, yet to us the intelligent ape like creatures its so much more complex.

Well it really isn't

If the cost to us to maintain the status quo is the demise of our species so be it, I guess.

Or simply put - there must be a better way, surely, one would think and I imagine we'll look for those alternatives when it is simply too late.

Wonder what spring is like on the moon?

No comments: