Sunday, January 29, 2006

Listening, listing, is this thing on?

Why is it all the best 'best of' music lists one comes across in the press are usually bollocks, self congratulatory smug baseless attempts at hipdom at the cost of someone elses craft and talent.

Then there's those that leave you feeling inspired and humble, when 'uber geeks' put the passion and personal into the list where the artists therein and the results of their craft are the stars and the only reflection one can gain from these lists is, damn I missed out on some cool shit and with a huge cheers for sharing to the compiler.

Reading a couple today make me want to have that major lotto win (well everyday I have this dream, shame I never buy tickets) and devote my last days on earth to simply consuming that music which I stumble upon and find, I thought of going soulseek (I also sometimes think of downloading this soulseek thing but have yet to bother, I just don't think its me) on both but from my perspective it just ain't the same as the hunt, coming upon that which you so rightly want in your own collection - not cause it'll impress the ladies or sad geeky music dweebs one hangs with but because musically it and you deserve each other or not as the listening experience will dictate.

A good list is like a shopping list to cater for certain elements of ones tastes and the only way to reward oneself in my world is hopefully the proper slab of wax, or at worst the track on a compilation - also on wax. CD compilations are fine, but ultimately they just don't give back what a piece of vinyl can and does, sometimes them scratchs and resulting cracks and pops are a story in themselves.

So for them seeking a musical feast tuck into these pups, the first from the Opinionated Diner put me onto the second and a new site that I shall be visiting often, its rare one sees a website that has The Pygmies of the Ituri Forest record on display - a record that has many a fond memory for me and one I wish I owned, for amusement sake as much as anything.

One day I shall compile a list, a proper list not just a playlist, it won't be serious nor influential as in subject matter, I doubt thats really my thing, a Bob's Fave Novelty Records one, well thats more my cup of tea.

Sometimes people ask me what I mean by a novelty record, well here's an example of the sort of thing that makes me laugh (and cry) and something I shall purchase for sure if it ever graces a NZ store. Its just so wrong its funny

Remember life is too short for boring music

No comments: