Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Will Survive

"On a recent trip to Europe, a family of three generations (a Holocaust survivor, his daughter and his grandchildren) dance to Gloria Gaynor's pop song - 'I Will Survive' at concentration camps and memorials throughout Europe.

This dance is a tribute to the tenacity of the human spirit and a celebration of life. It is an affirmation that man can triumph over the darkest of circumstance and still strive to find beauty and peace. Similarly, each one of us has to face the adversary of our own lives and find the spirit 'to survive.'

In making this video, my intention was to present a fresh perspective to younger generations who have often become desensitized to the horrors of the Holocaust.

I hope 'Dancing Auschwitz' will allow historical memory to live on, so that the lessons of the past will be forever remembered.

Both my mother & father, as well as being my inspiration, have also been my support throughout this project. At times, when I have felt challenged by its appropriateness, they have reminded me that 'THEY CAME FROM THE ASHES- NOW THEY DANCE!'"

www.janekormanart.com



No comments: