Thursday, February 01, 2007

Iran

There is a lot of speculation regarding a potential immanent attack on Iran by either the USA or Israel, possibly/probably both.

I can't help but read dozens of articles on topics such as this and whilst I don't discount the writings and authors I am reading and in many cases follow regularly anyway, I am unsure.

For this time last year almost the exact same articles were being written, differing scenarios with the same result, either a Israeli air attack on Iran's nuclear facilities or a 'baby' nuke attack by the US on the same facilities.

I watch the reports of the US moving another carrier group to the area and how they will be installing patriot missles in key Arab states in the Gulf.

I read about the build up and preparation in Bulgaria and Romania. The Israeli air force doing their practice runs for a potential mission and all the political and strategic reasons for such an attack.

Yet still I don't quite believe.

If there is no attack, then diplomacy still has a chance before the entire region collapses into chaos, as it increasingly seems to be doing.

Its a wait and see, I guess. For there is little else I can do....

I could dig a bomb shelter, not that New Zealand is under threat... and as I don't have a back nor front yard or anywhere I could dig i have for now discounted such building of shelters.

Lets hope for the best

In the meantime I shall continue to read and hope

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I got an email from my Iranian friends the other day. Wanting news of the world, music and fashion. This from girls wearing miniskirts and knee high converse all-stars under their burkers. Their secret satellite for MTV is gone, no more private parties in the desert with dancing and whiskey....times are a changing WITHIN Iran, the people have finally hit the Islamic Revolution that (Allah, and I'll spell this wrong too) Khomeini "promised" them...it would seem that the radical poor are having their way, and their way is through violence and ignorance...Love them as I do, adore Iran as I do, and perhaps I've said this before even onthis blog Si, but I think its time to be afraid of them....again

Bob Daktari said...

when backed into a corner like Iran has been the extremists have the perfect platform to control the domestic population more so than usual

I've read enough articles about Iran of late to suggest this is the case

We have nothing to fear from Iran, its a country that has no history of violent excursions into others lands, thats for the freedom loving democracies to practice

It is a time to fear for those enlightened, educated liberals inside Iran, they face and are living through tough times

for Iran to become more liberal they need more friendly and mutually beneficial contact with western nations, alas that isn't on the agenda for now

where were you sunday? I smack a little old lady over to save you a chair...

Cathy said...

yes, yes perhaps thats what I ment...to fear FOR them...buttoo I think the current leader is a man with Eyes bigger than his belly, He'll try, I reckon he's just arrogant enough to not see why he can't try.

Sorry sunday I was er...ahhh yes, I was so hungover I could bearly move spliff to mouth...and couldn't coordinate my eyes in unison.