Monday, July 17, 2006

The joys of sharing

I share my flat with a Canadian girl. We have many over lapping interests, music being one of the biggest.

Its grand as she's a fan of guitar based music whereas my current listening habits / interests (have been for some years now) is of a much more electronic/dance bent.

The thing I am currently enjoying sharing is my collection and knowledge of NZ music, pushing countless Flying Nun albums on her for her digestion and appreciation and also digging out loads of old 7"s, 12"s and LP's of mine to revisit myself.

This has lead to my listening habits becoming even more random than ever. Roy Montgomery followed by a mix CD of Maurice Fulton is not for the narrow minded I would hazard a guess at but then I like a varied diet musically speaking.

Perhaps the thing I am enjoying the most is rediscovering songs and acts that I'd not bothered listening to for almost a decade, most of which I am pleased to say sounds as fresh and exciting to these ears as they ever did. Prior to this year, i was more inclinded to revisit songs that sprung to mind rather than entire albums, thus I am refinding and falling in love again with many a track I'd not thought about for often over a decade and better yet falling for some I hadn't thought much of at the time.

I'm not sure when I last listened to more than one Verlaines song, let alone sat through three albums worth... oh happy days, only made that much better by the current bout of beautiful days, tis almost summery.

In return I am discovering many a artist from Canada that I am digging big time and countless bands I read about but am not inclined to bother with personally.

A perfect complimentary environment one would think and it is :)

As they say; lifes to short for boring music!

No comments: