Thursday, June 28, 2007

Bobs big day in town

I took the opportunity to work from home yesterday, due to construction going down in the office.


To celebrate the glorious day that it was - cold and very sunny (well cold for Auckland alright), I decided to have a extended lunch break and to venture into town.


Now town for me is a long 5 minute walk up the road and then down into the central city... I very rarely go into town, cause it bores me... I'm a bloke, i don't like shopping so I minimalise my exposure to retail hell whenever possible.


So into town I go, I had one intention on my mind, to hopefully stumble upon the missing volume of Phillip K Dick short stories for which I have been searching for over a decade. So my first stop is JB Hi Fi, a bulk music/DVD/games emporium that is newish here - a big aussie chain. It was frightening, in both good and bad ways - horrific in decor and not a pleasant place to be... but crikey what a lot of stuff... I found Joy Division CDs for $7, which seemed a good deal, let my fingers flick through the Fall and then got depressed at the crap they called a dance section. I then looked at the DVDs and got all flustered so buggered off to Whitcoulls.


No sign of any Dick, other than perhaps myself, in Whitcoulls, no sign of the Rip It Up post punk book by Simon Reynolds and no sign of anything bookish that took me fancy... so again I strayed off my chosen path into the DVD section, as I had some book vouchers that have been burning a hole in my wallet for too many months I was keen to finally take there collective weight off my mind and out of my wallet, so I came away with the pilto movie and first season of Battle Star Galatica, the 2004 remake of that classically bad sc fi telly series. Yep a mug is really born every second.


I then ventured to Borders books store, plenty of Dick but not the one I seek, found the Simon Reynolds book and looked for its companion CD, according to the puter it was there but alas I could not find it so decided against the book, for now... cripes their music section is looking sad - perhaps a reflection on increased competition.


I then decided I should venture home, I was already feeling quite giddy from the entire experience. And so it was soon over, 5 minutes later I was safely enscounsed in my home... eagerly pushing a DVD into the player to emerse myself in that which I have already seen.


Watch pilot movie, do some work, watch episode from first series, more work... repeat til one goes to sleepy byes


You're a sad man Bob... a sad, sad man


Awesome it was!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sir Bob, give me the name of the Dick book that you are after. I am in some small but well-stocked city at the moment that may or may not have it... email me buddy!